Actions to Take to Support Anti-Racism Efforts
Dear Siblings in Christ,
Here is a list of books, organizations to support, and actions to take. I am grateful to each of you for showing up and being willing to do this critical, Gospel work.
1. Have Black Lives Matter sign posted visibly in your yard or window.
2. Reach out to head of police force and ask questions around body cams/training.
3. Reach out to local rep and say police accountability and racial justice is a priority for you.
4. If you go to protests, have a plan and do your research. Who is hosting the protest? Is it planned or endorsed by BLM? Do you have the resources you need to stay safe and, if arrested, get bailed out? Do not take resources away from organizers, especially black and brown organizers.
If you choose not go to protests, donate to bail funds.
5. Go to BLM website and spend time learning the BLM platform www.blmphilly.com; go to Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) website and sign up for a local chapter https://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/
6. Go to black owned businesses – One suggestion: Black and Mobile. (Food delivery service)
7. Read a lament psalm-imagine what it is like to be a part of the reason the psalmist is praying it.
8. Books to read:
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nahesi Coates
- When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Cullors
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- How to Be An Anti-Racist by Ibram Kendi
9. Organizations to donate to:
- Black Lives Matter: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ms_blm_homepage_2019
- Philadelphia Community Bail Fund: https://www.phillybailout.com/donate.html
- PA Working Families: https://workingfamilies.org/states/pennsylvania/
- More organizations here: https://www.bustle.com/p/where-to-donate-find-mental-health-resources-related-to-the-george-floyd-protests-22946925
January 10, 2021
December 16, 2020
November 17, 2020