Since 1761, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church has worshiped at the corner of Third and Pine Streets and served the people of this neighborhood and city. As our congregation and our ministries have grown in recent years, we have outgrown our current facilities. We are exploring the possibility of constructing a new building on the northwest corner of Third and Lombard Streets, currently the site of the church parking lot. St. Peter’s Church is working with Philadelphia-based architecture firm KieranTimberlake to design a building.
- April 2018: Notes from April Parish Meeting
- January 2018: Opening Doors brochure
- February 2017: Concept Design for Proposed Building
- November 2016: History & Photos of Property at 4th and Lombard
- November 2016: Neighbors Invited to Public Meeting on November 14
- October 2016: Sign up for a “Building Our Future” Parish Meeting
- October 2016: Draft of Proposed Space and Square Footage
- October 2016: Meet the Architects at All-Parish Gathering
- August 2016: St. Peter’s Selects KieranTimberlake as Architect
Why do we need a new building?
St. Peter’s current Parish House is located across from the church in a 19th-century residence on Pine Street. We have used this building for parish gatherings, meetings, offices, and outreach activities since 1970, when we had an average Sunday attendance of about 35. Today, almost 200 people attend three services at St. Peter’s each Sunday morning. Our congregation totals more than 300 people. Simply, we have outgrown our space and do not have a facility that allows us to grow the fellowship of our congregation and our outreach to the community.
What will the new building look like?
Our goal is to build a welcoming, beautiful, sustainable building, with careful consideration paid to light patterns and the aesthetics of our neighborhood. The design will complement—not imitate—the existing historic church building.
How do I learn more?
This webpage will be updated regularly and St. Peter’s will hold public meetings to gather input on the building plans.
If you would like to speak to someone at St. Peter’s Church, you can contact Parish Administrator Kate Randall at the Parish Office at [email protected] or by phone at 215-925-5968 from 8:30 a.m.—4 p.m. Monday through Friday.